Our BIG move

This is my diary of our new life in New Zealand up to 2011 when we moved to QLD to be near our grandchildren...

Saturday, June 21, 2008

First Pruning Practical - Alexandra

I went on my first pruning practical (I missed the Brambles Practical & all Theory! as we were in the UK, but Tim the tutor says I will be ok! - well we will see, I have yet to read my folder!!!! oops)

It was an early start 5am to be exact, Cole woke up and with getting him back to bed I forgot my mug of tea and my toast - so I had to buy a pie and Flat white at the 24 hr dairy. I met my class mates & tutor Tim's assistant Rachel who was driving the mini bus in Invercargill and we set off for an orchard between Roxburgh and Alexandra. It was pitch black so it was only when we got there that you could see the views.

This is a webcam shot of Alexandra, Its a place I want to visit - soon, its 2 1/2 hrs away from us.

When we got there, we met Tim our tutor (as usual in a t-shirt!) it was cold - real cold, like a UK winters day (first time my fingers & toes have been numb!!!) But Tim got a Diesel burner going in the orchard so we could warm up when we needed too.

A frost view of the valley below

we all walk up to the Apricot orchards

I wonder if the air aid shelter ever got any use!

The frosty orchard.

The sun rises and the frost disappears - along with our woolies!

Class mates pruning Apricot trees

Before


After (can you see the difference?) the tree is a Vase shape and the pruning has allowed light back into the tree, pruned back new growth to force the trees nutrients into the awaiting Fruit buds on last years growth.

Heres a picture of Tim up the mechanical pruner - I had a go in this too, it was fun but the pruners can take a finger off in seconds!!! eek!

we got back to Invercargill at 7ish, I had a great day and brought back 100 cuttings for apricot trees - for my other Propagation course! smart hey!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home