Our BIG move

This is my diary of our new life in New Zealand up to 2011 when we moved to QLD to be near our grandchildren...

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Riverton to Tuatapere Sunday 6th August

Hello again, well the weather held fast for Sunday, it was a gorgeous day and we decided to get out early and travel route 99 towards Riverton and beyond. Basically to see what is there, hunt out good beaches to visit in the summer and generally get out of the house and into the sunshine.
We didn't stop in Riverton, we just wanted to do a quick tour, as we want to go when we have family over, we stopped at each Beach though and had a walk around, I love beaches -
heres a link to some information on the route Riverton - Aparima Heritage trail
This Picture is of Riverton Harbour

I have been told that you can get to Riverton from Oreti Beach at low tide, a favorite trip for Bikers is to ride on the beach there. stop at the pub for lunch and ride home via the road.


We stopped at each Beach though and had a walk around, I love beaches -
heres a link to some information on the route Riverton - Aparima Heritage trail

We stopped at a beach near Riverton, and I saw these trees...I thought they looked a bit like wild witches.....

















The Shells were all over the place and I collected a few treasures for my craft projects....Yeah as if I have the time!






We stopped at Colac Bay, we sat outside on the deck of the Pavillion Resturant and had lunch I had Seafood Platter and Rob had fresh Fish & Chips! oh and a beer to wash itdown, BUT Just the one! It was packed, and everyone was out enjoying the sun, in fact kitchen was flat out.
It was funny to see the they had to turn down customers as thegumboots at the door....you don't get strange looks if your walking around in socks....its preferable to dirtying the floor with your muddy boots!


My favourite beach was Gemstone Beach, the sand has tiny tiny stones in it that glisten like gems, a creek flows into the sea and there is a cute bach in the cliff side! as well as a few caves
dug out of the sandstone cliffs. Monkey Island beach is near it, I recon you could travel from one to the other at low tide.

















We drove home at about 4pm via the inland route, through Otautau to Wallacetown and back into Invercargill at sunset. A very nice day, followed with an early night...as both Rob and I were Shattered!

I have linked the Southland website, so that you can see more of what is to offer around here, I will be checking out some other spots soon!

PS....we woke up to Monday morning frosts and rain! funny this weather stuff, but we didn't mind as we were back to work.............I will up load the pictures later...I took 200!!!




1 Comments:

  • At 8:39 pm, Blogger Helen Leggatt said…

    Kat, this post has really inspired me to kick Woz up the bum and get ourselves down to your neck of the woods. Fab pics and a great read! Sounds like you're really getting about!! Helen x

     

Post a Comment

<< Home