Our BIG move

This is my diary of our new life in New Zealand up to 2011 when we moved to QLD to be near our grandchildren...

Friday, September 07, 2007

Tips to Keep warm - NZ style

ITS COLD and Windy outside, 10 degrees c on the thermostat when I got up this morning.
It got me to thinking about how it was in the UK - in winter it would be just as cold, I remember quite well my Utility room - before makeover (single brick, felt roof concrete floor NO heating - it was the back of the garage) If I left the milk out in there it would more than likely have ice in it! it was colder in there than the fridge! Ha ha.

So the only difference to hear in NZ is that we had Central Heating with thermostats and timers- Insulation, and double glazing!

So what do we have in NZ - well most of the houses don't have Insulation, even in the ceilings, they are either single brick cladding construction with a wooden frame in side. then there are the Villas these are all wood, wooden frame with clapperboard outer frame.
and they usually have tin roofs, but thats not a factor about keeping the cold out as its the lack of insulation (pink batts) as they are called here.

So when winter starts to nip at your heels, and its cold outside.... you may be cold as you wrap the scarf, gloves and hat around you before you open the door to go to work...... have a thought of the majority of the tennants - who wear them to bed

Me - well I am sat in front of my cozy fire, the loft is now insulated, as is the underneath of the floor, and the walls.... but I can say that in the daytime, I have never been so cold as to wear 2 pairs of socks and a few jumpers before going riding! So NZ feels warmer in the daytime at least.

most people say put another layer on - or they have throws, and snuggle sacks - Fleese blankets with zips that they zip themselves into. then theres the electric blankets (ooh hang on a sec while I turn mine on.......)


Ok where was I.... Yep Leccy blankies - I remember staying at my Nanas as a kid, they didn't have heating upstairs, just Night stores and a fire downstairs (sounds familiar) NZ is Nanas (only a 25yr gap!)


Oh well I better get to bed..... or the weekend will be wasted. (robs building me a horse float!!!)

Free Smilies and Glitters

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home