Our BIG move

This is my diary of our new life in New Zealand up to 2011 when we moved to QLD to be near our grandchildren...

Monday, October 30, 2006

Queenstown


Hi all, I haven't posted much since moving into the farm, mainly because of the crap Woosh broadband connection! - I get fed up with the slow connection as I took me 1 hour just to upload these pictures.

Anyway, less of the moan and more about our trip to Queenstown - the Adventure capital of NZ!

We were well and truly ready for Labour Weekend, as we haven't stopped to rest since arriving in Southland, and we hadn't had time to show the boys much either.

We Set off after work on Friday, but with Jordon having got very mucky at the Coal Mine which he had gone too with work, we ended up setting off an hour late and it was dark when we reached the very twisty, shear drop roads!

But we got to the Amber lodge ok...once we found it! the road signs were a bit difficult to read and we ended up ringing them for directions....we parked up in the United Video carpark - which was around the corner from the motel!

We went to bed ready for the early start, we were booked on the 10am Shotover Jet, so after a Big Mac we went to Arthurs point for the Shotover Jet ride, the weather was fine, not cold or raining, we had a great ride, but I think Robs stomach didn't appreciate the 360 degree spins!

and then at 11am we went to the Canyon Swing.......... and me and Jordon jumped twice!

On the Sunday we went Quad biking in the hills, which was a blast, and we all got filthy, any way heres some of the pictures, and if you want to see them all click on this link....

More Photos

The Balcony at Pug's Malone....We had Stonegrill, which is where your meat comes out uncooked on a Volcanic rock and you cook it to how you like it... Very tasty!


































Jordon coming back from his first jump..







Jason about to do the Chair.... a reminder of his school days I think, you lean back on the two back legs till you topple backwards.








Robert taking a look at the drop...then the guys went to push him...Just for an extra bit of excitement!











This is a statue of a Kiwi....with an egg under it, not a Poop!
























My second Jump...its Called the Gimp? god knows why, but you hang upside down till the end and then you swing the right side up again.








Sunset from Queenstown Wharf










And a picture of us all BEFORE we got all Mucky on the Quads, they were ace fun...and we all wanted one adding to our Xmas list...santa are you taking note?












On the Sunday afternoon while the boys chilled out Rob and I went sightseeing, and took a drive from Queenstown to Glenorchy, here are the Pics from the trip...This spot at Closeburn was fantastic, Glass clear and hot, I would have jumped in If i'd had togs (swim gear) with me...and Half a ton of Insect repellant!....

Unfortunately, this little slice of heaven had a part of Hell with it, They say that New Zealand doesn't have any dangerous animals....BUT they conveniently forget to mention the Sand Flies...These Tiny little critters have a very itchy bite, and can turn very nasty sometimes, I still have a scar on my ankle from the first week we were here, it went real manky and I ended up using a match to Cauterise it, it started to heal after I did that (For an example of how it looked Google Bagdad Boil.....)YUCK!

This Bay had about 6-8 houses opposite it, A Fantastic view if I say myself, and I'd retire there any day, but I doubt they would get Broadband unless they had Satellite.


And when we reached the Dart River, we turned back and headed back to Queenstown.

Its a great place to visit, expensive but if your just going camping and walking it would be ok, as its only the actual activities that break the bank, It cost $1045 for the 4 of us to do the Shotover Jet and Canyon Swing. So be prepared to spend, if you want to try all these activities out....But it was well worth it, and I want to try White Water Rafting in the Summer when the Rivers SLIGHTLY warmer!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home